Sometimes we don't know what will be for dinner until Wednesday afternoon, but since we both love food and coming up with food ideas, we usually start discussing it earlier. We were e-mailing Tuesday and he made a few suggestions, one of which was chicken rollup with broccoli and cheddar. I honed in on that! I'd made it once before for a friend, and had modeled it on SkinnyTaste's Chicken Rollatini Stuffed with Zucchini and Mozzarella, simply switching out the type of cheese and veggie. Poor Hamad thought he was inventing something new and was a bit surprised when I told him I had made it before. Oops, should have kept that to myself.
Anyway, I thought he would object to the broccoli to cheddar ratio, but to my surprise, he said it was great! Even better was, since I used 2 cups broccoli and made 4 servings, each serving contained about a half cup of broccoli - or one full veggie serving! At first, I thought I'd made too much filling and it wasn't going to fit in my chicken, but it ended up fitting perfectly!
Also noteworthy: If you don't have chicken cutlets, or need to get out some aggression, you can easily make your own with a plastic bag or plastic wrap and a good mallet.
(I apologize for the lack of pictures on this one. I accidentally deleted them while transferring them from my camera. Oops!)
Broccoli & Cheddar Stuffed Chicken Roll-ups
Inspired by SkinnyTaste
Serves 4 PointsPlus Value 7
1 lb chicken cutlets (4 cutlets)
2 cups broccoli florets (I used frozen - about 2/3 of a 16oz bag of florets)
3 oz cheddar cheese (I did half white cheddar, half yellow cheddar, both SHARP)
1/2 cup breadcrumbs (I was going to use regular, but pulled out the panko style, so I went with it)
1 egg, beaten
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Coat small baking dish with non-stick spray.
2. Shred or grate cheese. Put about 1/3 of cheese on a plate and the remainder in a mixing bowl.
3. Cook broccoli until bright green but not too tender. Cut off stems (the "trunks," if you will) and chop up the florets ("treetops," as I like to call them) into itty bitty pieces and toss into mixing bowl with cheese. Stir it up until broccoli and cheese are well combined.
4. In a small bowl, beat egg. Add breadcrumbs to the plate with the cheese and mix together until cheese is incorporated into bread crumbs.
5. Lay out chicken cutlets on a plate. Add about 1/4 of broccoli-cheese mix to each cutlet and roll up. Dip each piece in egg and roll in breadcrumbs. Place in baking dish, seam-side down. Spray lightly with non-stick spray and bake at 450 for 25-30 min until chicken is cooked through.