Monday, June 18, 2012

Coconut Brown Rice Pudding



I have been wanting to make rice pudding for a while.  I found a recipe a while back on WeightWatchers.com that I really enjoyed.  I have no idea what that recipe was, nor can I find it again. And that doesn't much matter, because after weeks of complaining about allergies, it's been suggested I may have a lactose sensitivity, so I'm off dairy products for the next 2 weeks to figure it out.  (It's been 36 hours, and I miss cheese oh so much already!)

Yesterday afternoon I finally got around to using my new rice cooker and decided I should make enough extra to make some pudding.  Then I remembered: pudding's made with milk.  whomp whomp 


When I hit the grocery store today, I decided to dabble in alternative "milks."  I picked up some vanilla almond milk and some regular coconut milk.  I tasted both and decided the coconut would be nice for the pudding.  It has a very subtle coconut flavor, without being overbearing.  So I got to work and created this yummy Coconut Brown Rice Pudding.  Enjoy!





Coconut Brown Rice Pudding
A Passion & Zest Original
8 1/2 cup servings at 4 P+ or 4 1 cup servings at 8P+


Ingredients

2 cups coconut milk
3 cups cooked brown rice
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup raisins (optional)
1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut (optional)



Directions


Combine coconut, milk, rice, sugar, and vanilla in sauce pan.  Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.


When bubbles form around edges, turn to low heat.  


Stir in cinnamon, raisins, and coconut.  Let simmer until pudding thickens.


Serve warm or cold.

Combine coconut milk, rice, sugar, and vanilla in sauce pan over medium-high heat.  Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. When bubbles form around edges, turn to a low heat.  Stir in cinnamon, raisins, and coconut.  Let simmer for 5 minutes while pudding thickens.  Enjoy warm or cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment