Tuesday, September 27, 2011

I Was Made to Dance


Just because it's beautiful.




Salsa.  Tango.  Cha Cha.  Meringue.


ZUMBA!!!

I'm having a serious love affair with my Zumba DVD's.  A workout that makes me ... smile?  How on Earth is that possible?

I danced for 8 years when I was little, from the ages of 4 through 12.  My mom says I saw dancers on Sesame Street and wanted to do what they did.  When I was 12, we went to Disney World and I decided I want to be a Disney Dancer.  It's safe to say I not only love dancing, but also watching dancers.

I took classes: tap, ballet, tap, jazz, modern, tap.  I really loved tap.  My shoes made noise.  In the last year or two that I danced, my feet were big enough to wear adult-sized shoes.  I somehow convinced my mom to let me get tap shoes with heels.  

Because these are so much cuter. 
And I ♥ heels, even at age 12.

Actually, these are pretty cute, too. 
I never had a pair with a bows.



















I quit dancing when I was 12.  After several years, I joined cheerleading so I could dance again.  Then I took dance classes at the gym.  Then I discovered Zumba.  It seems no matter where I go in life, what turns I take, what moves I make in my career, how much weight I gain or lose, the love of dance - all styles of dance - is so deeply ingrained within the core of my being.  

My schedule isn't really conducive to taking regularly scheduled classes at the moment.  So, for now, I let myself be moved by the Latin beats in my Zumba DVDs.  Maybe one day soon I'll get to go back to tap classes.  Or take ballroom classes.  Learning to Tango would be super sexy.

The other workout that makes me smile?  Rollerblading on a clear, sunny day at Sandy Hook.  Best.Feeling.Ever.

What activities make you smile?  Is there anything you've loved forever?

No comments:

Post a Comment