Monday, November 21, 2011

Chicken Two Ways

Thanks to Ms. Gina at SkinnyTaste.com, I began experimenting with stuffed chicken breasts and chicken rollatini this year.  Gina has a fantastically delicious recipe for Chicken Rollatini with Spinach alla Parmagiana.
I'm pretty sure I've made it before, but I've made so many of her stuffed chicken/chicken rollatini recipes that it's hard to keep track of which ones I haven't or haven't made. With this one, I made a few minor changes.

Chicken Rollatini with Spinach alla Parmagiana, serves 4-8
inspired by SkinnyTaste.com

Ingredients:
  • 1.25 lbs chicken cutlets, 8 cutlets overall
  • 1/2 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs (I didn't use whole wheat)
  • 1/4 cup grated parmesan (I usually have fresh, but I went Kraft this time)
  • 1 egg
  • about 2 cups fresh baby spinach, chopped or torn up (I didn't really measure, but it looked to be about 2 cups)
  • 6 Tbsp part-skim ricotta
  • 1 oz pecorino romano cheese, grated
  • 4 oz part-skim mozzarella cheese
  • non-stick cooking spray
  • 1 cup marinara sauce (I went with Bertolli Vidalia Onion since I didn't have any already made)
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.  Spray cooking pan with non-stick spray.
  2. Chop or tear spinach into small pieces and place in bowl.  Add ricotta and grated pecorino romano and mix together.  In separate bowl, whisk egg.  In third bowl, mix combine breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese.
  3. Spread cheese/spinach mix on each cutlet.  Roll each cutlet.  Dip in egg, and then roll in breadcrumbs.  Place in cooking pan, seem side down.  
  4. Cover each chicken roll with some sauce and a mozzarella cheese.
  5. Bake at 450 degrees for 30-40 minutes, until chicken is cooked through and cheeses are melted.





This was Wednesday night's delicious dinner.  But, I was lazy, and even though I had defrosted chicken breasts, I ended up buying cutlets because I didn't want to butcher the breasts to make cutlets.




On Friday, I was spending some time on the WeightWatchers message boards, my favorite place to "hang out" and chat with some wonderful people, many of whom have become my friends.  Well, one lovely lady was asking for some chicken recipes.  I had no idea what I was making for dinner, but I did know I still had that defrosted chicken in my fridge that had to get cooked or trashed.  And then came along Ms. Jamie (author of FoodFeminismLife) with an absolutely phenomenally delicious recipe. I searched her blog to give her proper credit, but I couldn't find this recipe.  Below is my re-creation, with very little adjustment to the original.  Fortunately, a bunch of us boardies from the NYC area were getting together Saturday evening so I was able to Jamie in person just how much I loved her dish!





We start by sauteing eggplant.

And I learned that sauteed eggplant is super delicious!

Dredge the chicken in flour, and then toss it in the pan and cook it up.

Top the chicken with eggplant, 

prosciutto, and fontina.

Broil until cheese is melted and everything looks delicious!

Mix up the sauce, 


toss together a salad,

and enjoy!

Chicken Sorrentino, serves 4
adapted from a recipe by Jamie, author of FoodFeminismLife
(Original recipe also called for chopped Roma tomatoes which I omitted, 1/2 stick unsalted butter which I replaced with 1/2 cup chicken broth, and 2Tbsp parsley for garnish which I just forgot to include in my finished dish.) 

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 small eggplant
  • 1/8 c flour
  • 2 Tbsp vidalia onion, chopped
  • 1/2 c marsala wine
  • 1 oz prosciutto, sliced thin
  • 1 oz fontina cheese
  • 1 lb chicken cutlets
  • 1/2 cup chicken broth
  • 1/4 cup canola oil
  • salt & pepper
Directions:
  1.  Slice eggplant into thin slices.  (Original recipe calls for 1/2" circles, I went with thinner, lengthwise cuts, totally up to you.)  Heat oil in pan and saute eggplant until golden brown.  Remove from oil and set aside on paper towel covered plate.
  2. Season chicken with salt and pepper.  Dredge in flour.  Re-heat oil, if necessary, and add chicken to pan.  Cook until browned on one side, and then flip over and continue to cook until heated through.  If oil gets used up, add water or chicken broth to unstick chicken from pan.  When chicken is finished, remove from pan and place on broiler pan.  (Hint: Cover top of broiler pan with foil for easy clean-up.)
  3. In same pan, add marsala wine, onion (and tomato if using), and a pinch of salt and pepper.  Simmer and allow wine to reduce.  Add chicken broth to pan and continue to simmer until sauce thickens.
  4. Meanwhile, top chicken with eggplant, prosciutto, and fontina cheese.  Place under broiler for a few minutes until cheese is melted and browned.
  5. Spoon sauce over chicken (and parsley, if, unlike me, you remember) and viola!
For the Salad:

Chop up some romaine lettuce.  Add cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, banana peppers, a bit of red onion, and black olives.  Mix together some olive oil, red wine vinegar, oregano, garlic pepper, salt, and pepper.  (I threw it into my Magic Bullet for a few seconds to emulsify.)  Pour over salad.  Top salad with shaved cheese (I used pecorino romano).  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment