Sunday, November 27, 2011

Mmmm, Cake!

Yesterday, a couple friends moved into their new home.  My boyfriend spent the day helping them move furniture while I was out doing my Mary Kay thing.  Late in the afternoon, they decided to try to convince me that I should come over and make dinner.  Much to everyone's surprise, especially my own, I said yes.  We ended up with homemade mozzarella sticks for appetizers (still perfecting recipe, but expect it on here eventually), Caesar salad, garlic bread, penne vodka, and chicken parm for dinner (recipes for the penne to come eventually also), and for dessert: COOKIES AND CREAM CAKE!  The cake was fantastic.

Now, I'll admit, I took the easy way out.  Since I had limited time, and was already preparing the mozzarella sticks, penne, and chicken, I decided to go the *dun dun dun* box cake route.

I know, I know, not so original.  But you know what?  It was delicious.  And next time I make it, I will definitely try my hand at making some or all of the parts from scratch next time.  This time, however, I present you with the Shortcut Cookies & Cream Cake.











Shortcut Cookies & Cream Cake
(warning: NOT WW-friendly, but completely delicious)


Ingredients:
  • 1 box French vanilla cake mix 
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 1/3 cup water
  • 1 tub buttercream frosting
  • 1 tub chocolate frosting (I went with dark chocolate)
  • 1 package Double Stuf Oreos
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Prepare cake according to box.  I used Duncan Hines, which calls for 3 eggs, 1/3 cup vegetable oil, and 1 1/3 cup water, but this might vary based on brand, so make sure to pay attention to the brand you select.  Bake in 2 round cake pans.
  3. While cakes cool, take about 2/3 of the package of Oreos and crush in food processor, or place in plastic bag and smash to tiny bits with a rolling pin, mallet, or just your hand if you're so inclined.  Empty tub of buttercream frosting into small mixing bowl.  Add crushed Oreos and mix until well blended.
  4. When cakes have cooled, place first layer on serving plate.  If top is uneven, feel free to slice off some of the top to even it out.  Spread buttercream-Oreo mix over bottom layer.  Place 2nd layer on top, and frost with chocolate.  You can frost the sides if you'd like, but I decided to go with a thicker layer of frosting on top.  
  5. Break remaining Oreos into pieces and use to garnish cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment