Thursday, December 1, 2011

Reason #874 I Love My Job

Maybe I should make a real list of reasons I love my job so I can accurately track their numbers.  But, since I like to hyperbolize, let's go with #874.

Oh, and for clarity, I'm talking about my day job this time, not Mary Kay (though I love that, too).

Once a year, my agency closes it's doors for half a day and pairs up with NY Cares.  They set up volunteer projects, and encourage employees to take the morning/early afternoon off to volunteer their time for one of these projects.  Projects range from helping out at a soup kitchen, to chaperoning class trips, to making things.

Last year (my first year), I went on a scavenger hunt at the American Museum of Natural History with a class of 4th graders.  It was fun, but the hunt had 40 questions, and that was a little too much for the 9 and 10-year-olds in my group to handle.  This year, I decided to stay in office and make baby blankets to be donated to a shelter.

After I signed up for the project, I had a moment of doubt.  Baby blankets?  Make baby blankets?  I'm totally not crafty at all.  But there was no sewing involved, so I convinced myself I could do it.  And I did!  And I actually enjoyed it, so all my pregnant friends (there are a few) should now expect baby blanket gifts.

Guess I can be crafty, after all.


No comments:

Post a Comment